Monday, March 11, 2013

bees do it

The word "drone" has been tossed around a lot lately and, for once, not as something my history professors did. Now it's a commonly used military euphemism for a remote-controlled killer robot, something which I suppose I can see having a negative connotation after years of propaganda by the Terminator franchise.

Some people, like Senator Rand Paul (no relation to Ayn Rand...that we know of), feel very strongly that the Obama administration's drone program is an overreach of executive power. In fact, Paul felt so strongly about it, he filibustered John Brennan's nomination to CIA director on Wednesday, ensuring that the Senate upheld its solemn, patriotic tradition of never getting anything accomplished.

I get it. Drones are scary. And we don't know much about them. I think it's time America got some answers. What are their likes and dislikes? Who was their biggest influence in high school? What are they most afraid of? Who are they rooting for on this season of "The Bachelor?" Is one targeting me right now?

And what exactly is Obama's justification for this drone program? We should demand a better response than, "Congress can kiss my half-black ass." (I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote, by the way.)

It looks like this will remain a "hot button" issue in the days ahead, primarily because that's the Air Force euphemism for what they press to launch a drone strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the audience participation portion of this blog. Participation is optional, of course, but should you decide you want the mic for a bit, keep in mind I reserve the right to censor you if you say anything nasty. It is my blog after all. Get how that works? Swell. Have at it, then.